Compare and Contrast Essay
Pick one of the following essay topics. Make sure that your essay follows a point by point or subject by subject outline. You must use at least 2 sources in order to complete this essay.
1. Compare the creative work of the Beatles and Mozart.
2. Compare and contrast contemporary Rock and Hip-Hop.
3. Compare and contrast the personalities of an ex and your current significant other.
4. Compare the athletic skill and ability of two “great” athletes. Example: Tiger Woods and Tom Brady; Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan; Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong.
5. Compare and contrast historical periods or events :
When did they occur-do you know the date(s) and duration? What happened or changed during each? Why are they significant? What kinds of work did people do? What kinds of relationships did they have? What did they value? What kinds of governments were there? Who were important people involved? What caused events in these periods, and what consequences did they have later on?
6. Compare and contrast two ideas or theories :
What are they about? Did they originate at some particular time? Who created them? Who uses or defends them? What is the central focus, claim, or goal of each? What conclusions do they offer? How are they applied situations/people/things/etc.? Which seems more plausible to you, and why? How broad is their scope? What kind of evidence is usually offered for them?
7. Compare and contrast two works of art :
What are their titles? What do they describe or depict? What is their tone or mood? What is their form? Who created them? When were they created? Why do you think they were created as they were? What themes do they address? Do you think one is of higher quality or greater merit than the other(s)-and if so, why? For writing: what plot, characterization, setting, theme, tone, and type of narration are used?
8. Compare and contrast two famous people:
Where are they from? How old are they? What is the gender, race, class, etc. of each? What, if anything, are they known for? Do they have any relationship to each other? What are they like? What did/do they do? What do they believe? Why are they interesting? What stands out most about each of them
9. Compare and contrast the Fox News website http://www.foxnews.com/ with CNN’s http://www.cnn.com/
If you don’t find a topic that interests you, feel free to generate your own paper topic.
Essay Guidelines: 3 pages, 12 pt Times New Roman double spaced. One inch margins. MLA Format required! Sources used MUST be academic sources (accessed via library home page or borrowed from the campus library).
Compare and Contrast Essay